Sunday 8 November 2015

Blogging Props




Taking photos of products brings me inexplicable joy - that may well be one of the saddest things I've ever said but it's the truth. I love arranging make up to create a beautiful photograph but sometimes the picture just turns out boring and empty. Editing obviously brings life to pictures but it's always helpful to start with something good and make it better rather than something a bit crap and end up with something less crap, know what I mean? To make my pictures more interesting and add different colours and textures I use 'props'. Over the past 2 years I've created a little blogger corner in my bedroom full of stuff that I use in my pictures and I thought I'd share some of those bits with you. I highly doubt any of them are unique and original ideas but at least it's handy to have a list of them all in one place!


  • wooden (chopping) board - for flat lays to add texture & dimension.
  • prints - as a background to add colour.
  • rings - to fill out empty spaces in flat lays.
  • flowers/plants - to add colour & texture. Almost all flowers and plants photograph really well so they're definitely an easy prop to have.
  • notebooks/books -  to add height when taking 'landscape' photos, great for backgrounds too.
  • packaging or other products - to fill out empty spaces in photos. Taking a picture of a lipstick? Use other lipsticks to fill out the space.
  • patterned bowls/plates - again good for flat lays as a background or for adding height and colour, I'm sure you've seen everyone and their mother use that marble tray from H&M in their pictures recently. 
  • candles - cute candle holders make great backgrounds as do lit candles, especially for A/W posts.
  • magazines - again good for backgrounds. I particularly love stacked Vogue's in the background of some of my pictures.
  • wallpaper - buying a single sheet of wallpaper, especially a wooden effect, makes for a gorgeous background. You can also use contact paper that works exactly the same - and you can get marble look ones too.


To be honest most decor items work well as props in a photograph, you can pretty much use anything you have to make a picture more interesting. The only tip I have is don't over do it. Too much can take away from what you're actually photographing so just make sure the product stays the focus. 


I hope this was helpful and if you think I've left anything out, or you use something that I haven't included then leave a comment and let me know.



F I N D  &  F O L L O W  M E  O N 


No comments:

Post a Comment