Wednesday 21 October 2015

How I Blog




It's weird that when you become a blogger you're often at a complete loss as where to start when writing a post. There is a pretty long checklist in the recipe of a good blog post like a nice background, pretty presentation, a unique writing style and the boring stuff such as links, information and of course something to actually talk about.
In the 3 years I've been blogging, and the year before that of religiously reading them, I haven't really seen anyone talk about their blogging process. I know that I'd love to know how other bloggers go about writing and preparing a post so I'd love to see anyone reading this doing one of these. I'd find it super interesting to see if there are any similarities or any differences too - so please have a go at this! Any excuse for more blog post ideas,  am I right?!

I'll use a beauty product review as an example as that is the main bulk of my posts. Usually I wait until I've collected at least 4 or 5 products before I'll actually get them all out to photograph. When I finally do get round to setting everything up to start taking pictures I'm normally quite happy with a white background especially if I have the outer packaging of a product to use as a prop but if I think it's too boring, I'll grab a cute notebook, an interesting print or just put it on the wooden floors in my house to jazz everything up a bit. I also bear in mind that the product needs to be the focus of the photo so I'll always try to keep things to minimum which suits my taste and photography style anyway. Photographing products is the longest part of a beauty post, for me at least, and that's why I like to devote a good few hours to doing a bunch at once, taking pictures everyday gets a little tedious. After taking photographs of everything, most of the time I try to aim for at least 3 per post, I edit them. I'm really inexperienced with editing software so I've just stuck to using my camera settings and it works fine for me so far. I'm considering getting photoshop and taking the time to learn to use it but it seems really daunting. I guess I'll have to learn sometime so there's no time like the present but anyway - after all that, I create a post, upload the pictures and start writing.

I hardly ever write all 4, 5 or however many reviews I have all at once. I generally do 1 or 2 the day of photographing and then finish the rest during evenings later in the week. I post 3 times a week, sometimes more if I have something I particularly want to talk about but that gives me time to work through posts at a much more relaxed pace. I find introductions the hardest part of writing a post and it often takes me a lifetime to get things going so I start by using bullet points of information on the product then that slowly forms into a post and then the introduction and ending is a piece of cake. When a post is complete, I add the labels and then leave it until the day of posting. The day of, I proof read it all to check it's in the right tense, there's no mistakes, the link still works etc and if it's all good then I press publish. My posts either go up at around 1pm or 7pm as that's when I get the most traffic (thanks Google Analytics - which if you don't use I'd recommend doing so, it's super helpful) and then that's it!


I hope you find this as interesting as I do and if you write one of these please comment, or let me know that you have and I'll definitely give it a read.

What's your favourite and least favourite part of writing a post? Do you struggle with anything?



F I N D  &  F O L L O W  M E  O N 



No comments:

Post a Comment