Friday 4 September 2015

My Red Lipstick Collection Part #1 - Brights











Brights
L-R: Rimmel Lasting Finish Matte by Kate 110 £5.49 (link), MAC Damn Glamorous £15.50 (N/A), MAC La Vie En Rouge £15.50 (N/A), MAC Dangerous £15.50 (link)

Hello and welcome to my ever growing collection of red lipsticks!
I have a truly unhealthy addiction to red lipsticks, matte red lipsticks to be specific, and I've been collecting them and slowly growing my stash over the past couple of years. I don't quite know why I love them so much to be honest, I guess one of the more reasonable excuses I have is that they just look good on everyone, with every outfit, in any season or at any time of day - that and they're pretty to look at.

So I'm starting this 3 part series off with the smallest branch of red lipsticks I own, the brights. I've only recently started picking up more vibrant shades of red with more pink, orange and coral tones as I was never brave enough to wear a lipstick that almost seemed like it was glowing on my lips, and then I came to the realization that life is way too short to spend an hour debating your lipstick choices.

Rimmel Lasting Finish Matte by Kate in 110
This is a semi matte finish, coral toned red. It's almost just a coral lipstick but the warm tones through it accentuate the red, therefore in my opinion, giving it a place here. For a drug store matte lipstick (which are almost impossible to find - trust me) this is pretty good. The texture is quite dry but it applies evenly and is opaque in a couple of coats. It doesn't last that long at 2-3 hours before it starts separating on the lips (it's not pretty) but for the shorter of adventures it's great. I haven't found a similar shade in any other brand which is the main reason I like it so much. It's a really beautiful balance of red and coral and looks wonderful in the Spring.

MAC Matte in Damn Glamorous
I bought this last Christmas without even knowing that it was limited edition. In all honesty from the swatches online I thought this was much more of a classic red than what it actually is but I think that has just made me love it more. It's a bright pink red with subtle blue undertones, it has a creamy matte finish and is completely opaque. If you want to know more about this lipstick you can have a look at the review I did here.

MAC Matte in La Vie En Rouge
A stunning vibrant coral toned red with warm undertones. This is without doubt the brightest lipstick I own. The finish dries to a true matte but is creamy on application and when it sets, it seems brighter still. I wore this a lot this year to my surprise (I definitely thought I'd chicken out) and I really love it. It's one of those lipsticks that makes me feel like a better version of myself when I have it on - is that insane? It sounds insane as I'm typing this but it's true! It's a lovely shade and all round lipstick and I've already done a review on this one too which you can read here.

MAC Retro Matte in Dangerous
The newbie. This is my only full on orange red. After hearing someone say once that paler skin tones should stay away from orange reds I did, but it turns out that whoever said that was completely wrong and you should wear what ever the hell you want to. Anyway enough with the tacky life quotes, the lipstick is a true matte finish. It's dry in texture and uncomfortable to wear, which is what I've come to love with MAC matte lipsticks. I have also done a review of this one too (surprise, surprise) yesterday actually, so if you missed it you can find out all you need to know about this lipstick here.

Part 2 will be up next Friday where I talk about all my classic red lipsticks, my favourites. I hope you enjoyed this kind of post and having a look into my collection.


What's the brightest lipstick you own? And do you have a lipstick that makes you feel different or more cofident or am I just completely mental?



F I N D  &  F O L L O W  M E  O N 



No comments:

Post a Comment