Saturday 5 July 2014

Brand Review: theBalm Cosmetics



 Founder - Marissa Shipman
Founded in 2000 and based in San Francisco, as it seems a lot of beauty brands are (Benefit, I'm looking at you), this brand has been around for a while across America but seems to have only become available in Europe pretty recently. It has been popular among beauty bloggers most of this year with their highlighter named the 'Mary-Lou Manizer' fast becoming the most loved highlighter, dare I say it, of all time.
Their packaging is incredible taking inspiration from 1920's pin-up girls and rockabilly styles alike. Their unique named products are all the hype at the moment and owning three of their product (so far) I can see why.




                                                             Bahama Mama Bronzer £13.50
This is a matte bronzer more on the darker side of things in comparison to Benefit's Hoola for example. Having quite fair skin I was a bit apprehensive to try this but it really isn't as dark as it looks. It blends beautifully which allows you to let it be as light or dark as you choose. I use this as a contour shade as well as an all over face bronzer as it doesn't give have an orange tinge nor does it look muddy, it's a perfect balance. I've been using this everyday since I bought it and I'm really impressed. I think it's great value for money for the quality of the product you recieve. I apply this with a Real Techniques Blush Brush for all over my face and less precision blending and a Sigma F05 for more detaled contouring. 







This has a very similar texture to the bronzer and also the same colouring issues. In the packaging it does look like a salmon kind of colour but after applying it, it is completely translucent. I've tried a lot of setting powders and this is one of the best. It is a bit more powdery than some other pressed powders I've tried which I can't say that I love, but it does it's job. I apply this over my t-zone and despite having particularly oily skin it wards off shine for most of the day. It has a complete matte finish but when applied over a dewy foundation it doesn't completely cancel it out which is what I love most about this. I love a healthy, dewy look in the Summer but was never able to achieve it because I had to completely cover my face in matte setting powders to avoid getting shiny throughout the day. This powder seems to eliminate the shine but still allow the effects of your foundation to come through. Again, I think it is really reasonably priced and I'm really impressed with this too!
I apply this with a big fluffy brush like the Real Techniques Powder Brush.







  This honey toned powder highlighter is everywhere right now and I am so on that bandwagon. I've never really been all that into highlighters as I much prefer a matte look but I've been completely converted. Applied as a highlighter it leaves a beautiful sheen that seamlessly blends in with the rest of your make up. It's beautifully pigmented in a flesh kind of colour and has almost a creamy texture. This is much more of a shimmer than a glitter and is completely smooth to the touch. It can also be used as an eyeshadow or inner corner highlight as well as on the browbone. Most of their powder products are multi-use for the face and the eyes - even their blushes!
I have absolutely no complaints about this product, it seems faultless as do the other products of theirs that I own. It's safe to say I'm a big fan of theBalm brand and I can't wait to try more of their products.






Have you tried anything from this brand? What's your favourite product?

Lots of love.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment